Published on August 3rd, 2012 | by Mark Erickson
How to use eye drops
Home care instructions for eye drops and eye ointment
DISCLAIMER: PLEASE FOLLOW YOUR DOCTOR’S EYE DROPS ORDERS IF THEY DIFFER FROM THIS SHEET
- Wash your hands with soap and water before using eye drops.
- Look toward the ceiling with both eyes open.
- Pull lower lid down – steady your hand on your forehead.
- Put a drop of medicine or small strip of ointment (1/4 inch) in the sac behind the lashes of the lower lid.
- The tip of the dropper or ointment tube should not touch the eyeball itself.
- Do not give more than one eye medicine at a time – wait 5 minutes between medicines.
- When using both ointments and eye drops, use the ointment AFTER the drops.
- Try to keep your eyes closed for one minute after instilling drops to obtain maximum benefit from medications